Phlebitis refers to inflammation of the veins and this may be superficial veins (thrombophlebitis) near the skin or the deep veins of the legs.
In both, you must be careful, because not only is a painful and distressing but if a blood clot and it is located in the pulmonary veins, the results can be serious
The main symptoms of phlebitis are:
- Pain in the area of the vein.
- Redness and / or swelling
- Muscle stiffness in the affected area
The main causes are:
- Buerger’s disease
- Injection of irritants.
- Increased tendency for blood to clot by genetic disorders, fat consumption and oral contraceptives.
- Reduced blood flow in an area due to a prolonged bed rest or inactivity
- Due to the fact that deep vein phlebitis requires hospitalization and treatment with anticoagulants, this section presents only home remedies and recommendations for those who have been diagnosed with phlebitis in superficial veins and are under medical care in order to alleviate the pain and help reduce the chances of a recurrence.
- Remedy for phlebitis # 1:. Hervir50 grams of flaxseed on three liters of water for 25 minutes. Then it should be strained and squeeze the seeds. Then, bathe the affected area with warm liquid is applied directly or as compresses.
- Remedy for phlebitis # 2: Apply a cloth soaked in arnica daily on the affected area. Leave in 5 to 15 minutes.
- Remedy for phlebitis # 3: Take one capsule of ginkgo biloba every day.
- Remedy for phlebitis # 4: Eat a slice of pineapple especially in the morning. The pineapple has bromelain (a natural enzyme), which inhibits clot formation, thus preventing thrombophlebitis
Eating foods high in fiber like fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts and seeds.
Eat lots of garlic, ginger, onion and chili pepper. These species tend to thin the blood and prevent clot formation.
Increasing the consumption of cherries, blueberries, and blackberries, as they contain chemicals called proanthocyanidins anthocyanidins which help improve the function of veins.
No to the Pill. If a woman has a history of phlebitis or blood clots should not take oral contraceptives, as their use increases the incidence of this ailment.
Elevate the affected area. Elevate your leg 15 inches above Y30 heart appears to increase blood flow through the veins.
Use support stockings elastic stockings are useful to prevent phlebitis by relieving pain.
Limit fat intake. Saturated and trans fats are associated with increased risk of thrombosis and poor blood circulation.
Take steps to travel. If you want to make a long trip either by car or plane, do not spend much time sitting to prevent the circulation to slow and can form a clot. It is recommended in the case of travel by car, stop frequently to walk. If you are making a journey by plane, we suggest elastic stockings placed before boarding the plane, get off the seat and walk down the aisle every 30 minutes after takeoff. Should request an aisle seat.
No smoking. Many times a person can suffer from phlebitis without knowing that this is only a symptom of Buerger’s disease which is directly related to smoking. The only cure is to quit smoking. It is therefore recommended not to smoke.
Exercise. It is necessary that the person suffers from phlebitis exercise, especially walking, and that helps keep the veins empty.
When you receive emergency medical care must receive immediate medical attention if, in conjunction with symptoms of phlebitis, which is a fever persists after a week. This could indicate an infection that requires antibiotics